Friday, July 12, 2013

Self-inflicted pain

Back to the U.S. and resume the relentless schedule of an old man wanting to accomplish too much.  6:30 my smart phone wakes me up with a weak yet eerily irritating music.  I open half an eye and start to check the stock market.  Most of the days it has no remarkable news, I turned on Bloomberg and let the video run, it works like a great lullaby, I fall back to sleep around 6:45 for anther 30 minutes or-so poor qualify nap.

Either I walk yoyo the yellow lab for an hour or I will prep my bike for commute to work.  I kept the NBC stock real time on on my ipad and start breakfast reading Mercury News.  The breakfast is usually rather substantial, a rich mug of coffee with milk, croissant with ham.  I would love some fruit with it but rarely. While I eat, every so often I scan the stock market, if there is movement, I might trade some.

I have been in and out of the stocks of several big-new companies, Bank of America, AIG, RBS, Citi.  The stock market goddess has been lay pity on me since the 2009 crash.  Most of my asset are from stock purchased after the year. I often make scary bets, hundred of thousands in one shot.  So far I am doing fine betting on the very likely of U.S. economy.  What surprised me since 2005 is the rise of real estate market in mainland China and Taiwan.  When my friend Fong suggest me to purchase an apartment in Shanghai for US$300K, I was incredulous. Now it is around $1M.

After either drive or bike to Monterey Bay campus, it is non-stop of meetings, emails, advising, classes, signatures. I try to walk around every hour also in school ITCD building, but often only get to do so a couple of times per day.  The day goes fast, before I know it, it is lunch time, I take a cup of tea and a snack bar.  Check the stock market again before it closes at 1PM PST.  A day goes fast, I usually have a thing or two that I have to finish that day, although I hate to bring home any CSUMB work, I have to do it at least two days a week.

- to be cont -

No comments: