Sunday, May 19, 2019

Summer 2019 - many changes in life

Summer 2019 started with an unusual thunderstorm in Carmel.   Have to cancel the end of spring BBQ party at home.

Many changes in life.


  • First summer without kids at home, JJ is going to intern with a non profit law firm that help immigrants in SF, DD will work for a real estate investment firm in L.A.
  • Mom and Dad’s health is going downhill quickly.  They no longer can live or support themselves.  Without a clear direction from them, we are doing our best.  Huang is exhausted, Hong is taking long leave to take care of them for two months.  I am flying back and forth.
  • Big decision to retire from Monterey Bay.  The mission and tasks at the campus defined my career over the last twenty some years.  I am known in Monterey area as the professor and director of computer science.  While since 2015, I have eased out of the position, it is still a big change for me not being the full professor that everyone know.  I felt sad to not having the classroom experience any more, but over the last few years, I already felt it is about time for me to leave.  Over the years, between being a nice guy everyone like to a task master pushing everyone to work hard, I chose the later.  I believe achievement and success is more important then being liked.  As Marcivelli stated in “Prince”, being loved and feared are both desireable, but if a leader has to choose one, choose fear.  He also stated that a leader need to decide when to break rules and be responsible for it.  Over the last twenty years, I am proud of the success we had in the school. We started innovative programs, grew from 100 to over a thousand, get a new building, getting multimillion dollar grands
  • Body start to weaken, during a tennis game last Sunday, my right knee start to hurt again.  I limped all week.  Does not bother my work but depressed my spirit.

No comments: