Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Intoxicated with work

Often I drove to CALMAT in the break of dawn, the mist of Monterey Bay invigorated me on the 75-mile journey.  I started greeting all the colleagues right after I arrive, start a series of meetings, some arranged long time ago, some Catherine put in a few minutes while she can find a spot. Students, faculty, managers, officials, partners, job seekers, and sponsors. Typically the few moments of back-to-back meetings overwhelmed me, I have to think hard to recall who is the person yakking away in front me with the total believe that I know the complete content. I walked around the facility to make sure everything is OK and everyone is taken care of.  At lunch, I took a quick walk to the little primitive convenience store close the bus station, had a cheap one dollar coffee and smell some downtown silicon valley air.  The focus of the day usually is my lecture.  Trying to give the audience my hundred and ten percent, at seven pm, I was completed drained and exhausted after twelves hours of non-stop action.  On the way home, I often feel intoxicated, almost the same sensation as ten shots of vodka. It is startling, yet devilish enjoyable, that the work has this intriguing effect on me.   After all these years, I start to be grateful about my work.  I guess I am very fortunate to find a job that is engaging, enjoyable and even intoxicating.

No comments: