Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Father's piano lesson

Going with Yuan to her piano class with Mr. Lyn Bronson. For half an hour, I sit next to Yuan and enjoy both being a proud father and refresh pieces of lessons I heard many years ago but did not learn. Yuan, even at 8, is learning pieces that are challenging for 10-year-old. Many of the pieces are hard for me also.

At night, I sit next to Yuan and Fang when they practice the piano, when their finger dancing on the keys, my eyes follow the notes and as if I am practicing also. When they make a mistake or finish a piece flawlessly, the frustration and triumph are complete felt as my own.

Yuan and potentially Fang will enter local piano competition April 1 with many of Mr. and Mrs. Bronson's pupils. The Bronson's holds Friday "performing classes" regularly. Their house is on a hill in Carmel Highland with beautiful ocean view. They four Steinway's sound great and we were amazed how great those teenagers play.

I appreciate the opportunity to teach and learn music with Yuan and Fang, it is not only their lesson, it is also mine.

No comments: