Monday, April 11, 2016

Long drive with Yuan to San Diego and Piano competition

Right after the last rehearsal for the piano competition, I picked up Yuan and start the long drive to visit UCSD.  Yuan drove the first leg, in the dusk and light rain.  She was cheerful when we pull into the best burrito shop in King city.  She spoke with the shop keeper in Spanish.  Against my best judgement, I ordered a huge super burrito with a extra sweet hochata.

We left the King City around 7:30PM, arrive around mid night to the Taiwanese shop in Irvine for a light supper as a reward. Yuan talked about in the trip, I enjoyed it, probably the last few trips I could spend time with her alone.  She has the who day visit planned out, I was happy that she has a goal and a plan.

Arrived at UCSD around 8:30AM as planned on Sat.  The warren college presentation is great.  I believe it is a good idea to have a smaller, social oriented colleges in a huge university.  Other presentation, such as one by economic department, which has the worse dept building I'd seen, and the parents conference, was, as I expected from a public university, mediocre.

Had an another burrito in Warren college restaurant, under the sun and overlooking the canyon, we are lucky the looming el nino storm was delayed.

One the way back, we visit Script college where Yuan got a very generous scholarship, the girl's only private school is rustic and beautiful, feel like Carmel.   But Yuan wants the environment that is richer and more bustling, since she has spent years in the quaint Carmel.

We dropped by the dealer ship to check out a Lx570, the Lexus version of Land Cruiser.  Our trusted land cruiser is over 20 years old and served us well.  It is time for her to retire.

Yuan was quite excited to drive back from L.A., specially during the storm, the rain drops seemed like shooting stars in the high beam.  A great trip, especially she go a few hundred miles of experience.

Fang and Yuan participated the Monterey Bay Piano Competition, Yuan has pick pieces that are too easy so we know there is little chance of winning. Fang played brilliantly, but the competition is severe, the winners did performed better so even though we were disappointed, but the results are accepted.

I felt drained after the long SD drive and the competition and did not do much in the weekend.  I felt bad that I took on many projects be could force myself to put in extra time during the weekend to work on those.

No comments: