Friday, August 31, 2007

Content to be mediocre

Been practicing cello for 4 months now. For a 44-year-old, I am impressed by how fast I learn and also surprised by how much I enjoy playing. I play for about 20 minutes in the morning in the top floor bedroom with the big bright window open my eye to the spectacular Carmel scenes and Santa Lucia Mountains. I go through all the assignments by Wendy Geiger, the instructor in Carmel Valley, playing each piece twice and then focus on the measures that I do not do well a couple of more times. In the evening, I play about 30 minutes in the back of the smaller bedroom upstairs, I usually can play a couple of tunes that I like but not assigned.

I viewed those cello playing clips on YouTube by Yo-yo Ma and was mesmerized by the music and his charismatic performance. When I started practicing tonight, I felt so inferior. However, I am not frustrated. In fact, I am still contented in a peculiar way, like a tiny weed sitting next a big tree, small yet enjoy the same splendid sun.

I got this cheap cello with brand name Cicilieo, for it price, it is well build but the set up is not done correctly so I have to adjust the bridge and finger board by myself. It is nerve racking but I have no choice, it does not want to play B flat on the A string!!!

No comments: